ALL students planning to enroll in a dual credit course for the first time will need to apply to Navarro College through the ApplyTexas website. Here is the link https://www.applytexas.org
After submitting your application, you will need to request that your transcript and TSI scores be sent to Navarro; this is part of the application process.
Remember, you must pass your TSI tests (or meet one of the equivalencies) before you will be permitted to register for any classes. Next, form where you will list the courses you want to take and where I sign off on. These forms MUST be filled out cALL (new & returning dual credit students) will still need to fill out the “Permit to Register” form completely with section numbers and instructor’s name. Students will also need their NAVARRO ID number. This number should be memorized! Mrs. Swick does not have access to this number, and we will not be using social security numbers any more!
Here are the steps-NEW students to dual credit
1. Complete and submit application at ApplyTexas for Navarro College (Corsicana)
2. Request your transcript and TSI scores be sent to Navarro College (Mexia) -GHS COUNSELING OFFICE
3. Fill out the “Permit to Register” form & GHS’s “Dual Credit Payment Agreement Form” completely and turn both into Mrs. Swick
4. On the first day of class, check your Blackboard account to make sure you are enrolled in the class! Let Mrs. Swick know if you are not!
5. Pick up your textbook from Mrs. Swick during the first week of class!
Here are the steps-returning students to dual credit
1. Fill out the “Permit to Register” form & GHS’s “Dual Credit Payment Agreement Form” completely and turn into Mrs. Swick
2. On the first day of class, check your Blackboard account to make sure you are enrolled in the class! Let Mrs. Swick know if you are not!
3. Pick up your textbook from Mrs. Swick during the first week of class!
GHS DUAL CREDIT POLICY:
Dual credit courses take a commitment from both student and parents. Students are expected to commit to the following:
*attend class regularly,
*participate in class, complete all class assignments and turn them in ON TIME!
*maintain academic integrity insuring the student’s work is his/her own-NO PLAGIARISM or copying!
*support and contribute to a safe learning environment,
*be respectful and cooperative towards instructor and peers.
DUAL CREDIT CRITERIA:
1. The student is currently enrolled in GHS (not Fast Track) and has completed 8th grade.
2. The student has met the entrance requirements to be eligible for the dual credit course(s).
3. The student is taking courses provided by Navarro College and GHS grants dual credit for the course.
4. A GISD employee or a member of Navarro College faculty teaches the course.
5. Tuition and textbooks costs are paid at the DISCRETION of the district. Any student who fails a dual credit course, drops a course or is dropped from the course by the instructor after the date when full reimbursement can be paid back to the school may or may not receive funding for future courses based on a decision by a GHS administrative committee.
6. The district reserves the right to discontinue paying for dual credit courses or to deny payment to any student without advanced notification.
ANY STUDENT WHO FAILS A DUAL CREDIT COURSE OR WITHDRAWS FROM A COURSE AFTER THE DATE WHEN FULL REIMBURSEMENT CAN BE PAID BACK TO THE SCHOOL, MAY BE DENIED FUNDING FOR FUTURE DUAL CREDIT COURSES! THE STUDENT’S ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE AND WORK ETHICS WILL BE REVIEWED BY AN ADMINISTRATIVE COMMITTEE TO DETERMINE IF THE DISTRICT WILL CONTINUE TO PROVIDE FUNDING FOR FUTURE DUAL CREDIT COURSES & TEXTBOOKS.
Please note: a grade of “D” (60-69) is considered passing at the college-though it will not transfer to a four-year university. A college grade of “D” or “F” is NOT passing at the high school. If a student earns a “D” or an “F” in a course, that student will have to repeat the high school credit for that course if it is needed for graduation!!!
PLAGIARISM is a serious offense; one which can get a student immediately removed from a college/university! Groesbeck High School will issue consequences to student(s) involved in any plagiarism or copying. This willl be IN ADDITION to the consequence(s) imposed by the college/university!